These things are of course just written up to drive traffic and controversy, and while it pains me to do so, I’ll bite. As seen at Gaming Nexus, Next Generation has posted up their Top 50 Greatest Games. The list includes racers like F-Zero GX, Gran Turismo 4, Mario Kart DS, OutRun, and Ridge Racer, but other classics like Grand Prix Legends and Sega Rally are sadly absent.
Obviously everyone’s opinions differ. However, factoring in their overall success, fun, and impact to the gaming scene, here are the top five racers I’d pick:
- Gran Turismo – A much bigger leap forward than any of its successors
- Hard Drivin’ – Way ahead of its time
- Sega Rally – The most playable arcade racer ever?
- Metropolis Street Racer – Just brilliant
- Grand Prix Legends – The progenitor of the modern racing sim
I’d also like to give an honorable mention to Test Drive on the C64, the game that got me started. There you have my top 5, what are yours?